Electric shopping cart catches fire in Battle Creek Meijer

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

BATTLE CREEK, Mich. – An electric shopping cart caught fire at a Battle Creek Meijer and the store’s sprinkler system came to the rescue.

The mobile electric cart caught fire just after 2:00am in the west entrance of the Meijer store in the 2000 block of Columbia Avenue.  The Battle Creek Fire Department reports that the cart apparently had an electrical failure, which caused the fire. The fire alarm system at the store activated and the store was in the process of being evacuated, but the sprinkler system over the cart put the fire out.  The fire was contained to the entrance area.

Fire crews say they ventilated the area and reset the sprinklers.  A Calhoun County Health Department representative checked out the scene and determined the store could be reopened.

No one was hurt.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s