GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. — The ArtPrize 9 jurors’ shortlist was announced Monday, with 20 entries vying for hundreds of thousands of dollars in prizes.
As with past years, the 20 jury finalists were divided into four categories: two-dimensional, three-dimensional, installation and time-based. There were also five Outstanding Venue finalists announced.
The 20 public vote finalists will be announced Oct. 1.
ArtPrize announced earlier this year that it was shaking up how the winners are chosen from its two lists of finalists.
After both the jury and public finalists are announced, the distinction between the two groups will be removed and the public and experts will be able to consider all 40 entries for awards.
Two Grand Prize winners will be selected, with each winning $200,000. There is also $100,000 in category awards up for grabs. A jury award winner for Outstanding Venue will receive $12,500.
The winners will be announced Oct. 6.
Here are the juror finalists:
- “HERO[series]” by Michael Hyacinthe ([HAS HEART] at Veterans Memorial Park)
- “820 Ebony/Jet” by Barbara Karant (The Ruse Escape Rooms)
- El Sueño Americano (The American Dream) by Tom Kiefer (DeVos Place)
- “Virtue Virtu Vertu’ by HIPKISS” by Alpha & Chris Mason (Grand Rapids Community College Collins Art Gallery)
- “Sofia Draws Every Day: Years 2, 3, and 4” by Sofía Ramírez Hernández (Cultural Collective @ Rumsey Street)
- “Recovery of Icarus” by Rolf Jacobsen (Frederik Meijer Gardens)
- “Frontiers” by Benjamin Jones (City water building by Richard App Gallery)
- “Flint” by Ti-Rock Moore (Fountain Street Church)
- “Bloodline” by Holly Wilson (Monroe Community Church)
- “Laborer” by Mike Wsol (Grand Rapids Public Museum)
- “Canceled Edition” by Pippin Frisbie Calder (Urban Institute for Contemporary Arts)
- “ENMESH” by Leroi DeRubertis (Grand Rapids Art Museum)
- “Two-way Protocols” by Zane Miller (The Fed Galleries @ KCAD)
- “Society of 23’s Locker Dressing Room” by Jeffrey Augustine Songco (City water building by Richard App Gallery)
- “Bushcraft… Radical Stimulus” by Jessica Wildman (Grand Rapids Art Museum)
- “Go-Rilla Means War” by Crystal Z Campbell (Rumsey Street)
- “Red Dirt Rug Monument” by Rena Detrixhe (Western Michgan University- Grand Rapids)
- “The Heartside Community Meal” by Seitu Jones (Urban Institute for Contemporary Arts)
- “Remission” by Paul Kaiser and John Charter (City water building by Richard App Gallery)
- “Searching” by Le’Andra LeSeur (The Fed Galleries @ KCAD)
- Monroe Community Church
- Urban Institute for Contemporary Arts
- Western Michigan University- Grand Rapids
- The Fed Galleries @ KCAD
- Cultura Collective at Rumsey Street