Deadly Crash on U.S. 131 Near Gun Lake Casino

02-21-14 US-131 traffic stopped southbound in Allegan County

FOX 17′s Darren Cunningham near the accident scene

WAYLAND TOWNSHIP, Mich. – Michigan State Police released the name of the man killed in a crash on U.S. 131 near the Bradley exit Friday morning.

Seventy-two-year-old David Yettaw, Portage, was pronounced dead at the scene.  MSP said he was driving one of several cars that crashed in the area of U.S. 131 near 129th Avenue at about 10am.

Investigators said Yettaw lost control of his Ford Taurus while trying to avoid an accident, but instead crashed into a tour bus.  The bus was traveling to East Jordan, Mich. with 22 passengers on board.  Nobody on the bus was hurt.

Traffic was backed up for miles near the accident scene at mile marker 61.  A combination of high winds and snow reduced visibility on many roadways in the county, said Captain Frank Baker with the Allegan County Sheriff’s Department.

FOX 17 is tracking conditions and problems across the area in our live weather blog.

6 Comments to “Deadly Crash on U.S. 131 Near Gun Lake Casino”

Kevin said:
    February 21, 2014 at 11:59 AM

fact check; it is the northbound lanes. NOT southbound

FaithAngel said:
    February 21, 2014 at 1:41 PM

Fact check for you. Both lanes were obstructed. My cousin's husband is a medic for WAEMS.

FaithAngel said:
      February 21, 2014 at 1:47 PM

I meant both north & south bound lanes were obstructed and closed down.

Kevin said:
        February 21, 2014 at 3:26 PM

I get that. but I am also a FF with one of the depts out there. although I wasn't on the scene I heard the radio traffic. it's possible the SB was closed as a result, but the accident itself was on the NB side, THAT was my point

Kevin said:
          February 21, 2014 at 3:28 PM

I never heard anything on the radio that SB was closed. that's what I get for ASSuming I guess.

GUEST said:
    February 22, 2014 at 9:35 AM

MY THIRD COUSINS BROTHERS UNCLE'S FOURTH CHILDS, BOYFREIND AND HIS BROTHERS STEP DAD'S GRANDSON WASN'T THERE….